Monday, February 27, 2012

When the Game is over it all goes back in the Box.

Book Review.
Ortberg, John. When the Game is Over It all goes Back in the Box. Zondervan. 2007
Comment. Henry
When it comes to ‘user friendly’, ‘seeker friendly’ writing, John is a bit of a legend. My introduction to John’s books was the title catching book, “If You Want to Walk on Water You Have to Get Out of the Boat”. I picked up this book after I had finished reading the “Bonhoeffer” book, a totally different experience. It was during the reading of this book that I had a brand new personal experience. I had an electrical malfunction of my heart that landed me in hospital by ambulance and introduced me to a new ‘buddy’, a pace-maker. If all this sounds like a disclaimer, so be it. This is a very easy read however some of his illustrations and applications lacked validity and punch in my opinion. I am sure this opinion does not make John any less of a writer.
The game analogy for life is a biblical example and as such stands up well to scrutiny. Being a non-athletic person, the winning and losing part of athletic competition resonates less with me than it probably should. I do relate to the proper preparation and corresponding discipline(s) of the game. Being in the ‘race’ is not an option. We are all in (not just a pun).
The race involves rules and the sooner we acquaint ourselves with those rules and abide by them the better. A value system that does not reflect richness toward God will not support a valid race. It will be test continually, it is part of ‘score-keeping’. Remove hindrances (Paul’s idea). In this race there is ‘advantage’ in surrender (oxymoron?). No one can become your ‘designated runner’. Life values are continually being tested, e.g. value of stuff, regrets, rules of the game, gratitude, focus on mission.
The game of life certainly comes with hazards. “Beware of the shadow mission.” (169) Respect the ‘competition’. If you win alone you have lost. It is important to encourage as you compete. “Collect the right trophies.” (221)
Pardon the brevity of this review. I am sure that this resource has good practical value as a tool in a ‘craftsman’s’ hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment