Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Absence of Mind.


Book Review.

Robinson, Marilynne.  Absence of Mind.  Yale University Press.  2010.

Comment.  Henry.

I pulled this book off the library shelf because I had read Marilynne’s novel, “Gilead”, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  It didn’t take much reading for me to realize that this would be a very different read from a novel.  This resource is part of “The Dwight Harrington Terry Foundation Lectures on Religion in the light of Science and Philosophy”.  This author’s lecture focuses on the topic of the mind and various opinions on what it is and how it functions.  She admits to be a religious (Christian?) person.  This position would make some of her opinions unacceptable by other writers.

I began my read with the attitude of a student that was auditing a course.  That approach didn’t work for me since I really had no comprehension of what I was reading.  Obviously this is not a book that works for me but it may be of interest to some of you who get these reviews.

Happy Reading!

henrydirksen.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment