Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Imitation of Christ

Book Review

A Kempis, Thomas. The Imitation of Christ. Image Books. Double Day. 1955.

Comment. Henry
I have been reading this book over a considerable time period as a devotional book. This book was given to us by a lady who was part of our small group a number of years ago. She showed keen interest as a ‘preChristian’ in our studies but never made any indication of acceptance of the Christian faith. In the note accompanying this gift she wrote, “You have planted perennial flowers in my soul’s garden”. This comment has impacted my reading of the book.

The status of this classic of Catholic theology is legendary. Written over seven hundred years ago and translated into English some five hundred years ago it is a jewel of literature. “The Imitation breathes a spirit of humility and peace as well as a salutary fear.” (From introduction by Harold C. Gardiner, S.J.)

My reading of the book was tempered by the daily devotionals that I receive from the Henri Nouwen Society. I believe I have a different appreciation of teachings that come out of the Catholic tradition. In my boyhood, young adult church experience there was a very strong anti-Catholic view presented. The focus was on doctrines taught that pitted Protestantism against Catholicism. In this age of tolerance, even among religious organizations, this focus is no longer acceptable. Evangelicalism is no longer the domain of Protestants only. Ecumenical attitudes are increasingly prevalent.

This book has helped me focus on a clearer understanding of the value of solid Christian disciplines. There is much ‘food for the spiritual life and the life of the soul’.
Although I still am not prepared to accept the view (doctrine) of ‘ingesting the body and blood of Christ’ as part of communion (Sacrament) we are missing something when we focus on the ‘memorial aspect, only. I have much to learn about spiritual discipline as I read about the practices of Catholic clerics.

This is a resource that I will be coming back to from time to time and I am sure that this will impact my growth in my spiritual journey.

Note. These book reviews are now becoming a part of a blog that a good friend of mine that I have not yet met has set up for me. The blog is (www.henrydirksen.blogspot.com )

1 comment:

  1. I have just recieved another most wonderful gift.THANK YOU HENRY. Fred.

    ReplyDelete